COWANE’S HOSPITAL TRUST
Established in 1637, Cowane’s Hospital Trust is Scotland’s second oldest surviving charitable trust.
The Trust has recently undertaken a major conservation project to conserve the historic fabric of Cowane’s Hospital, including harling and lime washing the external walls and repairs to the roof, windows, doors and stonework. The stained glass windows have been conserved and the exquisite external lanterns restored. The statue of John Cowane, affectionately known as ‘Auld Staneybreeks’, has been painstakingly conserved and once again takes pride of place over the entrance to the building.
In addition to looking after this building, the Trust provides relief for those in need by reason of age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage through the provision of housing, and in particular special needs housing, in Stirling.