Prior to dissolution, the Spittal’s Hospital Trust was the oldest of the Stirling charitable endowments originating with Robert Spittal, tailor to King James IV. The Trust’s charitable purpose was ‘the prevention or relief of poverty’.
Around 1530 Robert Spittal bequeathed certain lands to be held in trust to the Town Council. The income derived from them applied to the support of decayed members of the Seven Incorporated Trades.
The Spittal’s Hospital was founded by Robert Spittal in 1530 and it was noted in 1738 that the hospital building ‘which lately fell down’ was in need of repair. The Almshouse eventually became the site of the old Stirling High School located in Spittal Street.
In January 2023 the charity was wound up with the last remaining pensioner sadly passing away in 2020. The Charity has since been removed from the Scottish charity register accordingly.